SENIOR ABORIGINAL &/OR TORRES STRAIT ISLANDER COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT & WELLNESS OFFICER
Northern Sydney Centre
About Relationships Australia NSW
Relationships Australia NSW is an independent, not-for-profit organisation, dedicated to enhancing relationships within families and their communities in order to foster personal and social well-being. We are committed to building our support for families who are in greatest need, facing complex issues and have limited access to resources and services. Further information about our organisation can be found on our website www.nsw.relationships.com.au
About the Opportunity
We are looking for a suitably qualified and experienced Senior Aboriginal &/or TSI Community Engagement and Wellness Officer to lead our Caber-ra Nanga ENGAGAE program for the Northern Sydney Region. This program is funded by the Sydney North Primary Health Network.
Join our team of passionate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employees through our Mariyang Malang Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Staff Network.
This is a unique opportunity to undertake meaningful work which has direct, positive impact on the wellness and mental health of Aboriginal &TSI Peoples and Communities in the Northern Sydney region.
The key objective of Caber-ra Nanga ENGAGE is to build a sense of community and participation, to respond to the needs of clients in a relevant, culturally safe and coordinated way, and to advocate in a way which builds mental health literacy, cultural safety and wellbeing for Aboriginal &TSI people and Communities in the Northern Sydney area.
The Caber-ra Nanga ENGAGE Program includes culturally safe therapeutic group work and working closely with individuals (case management) which aims to address their mental health and wellbeing needs.
You will be skilled at linking with a variety of other service providers to ensure we provide a relevant, culturally supportive and respectful service at all times.
Some of your key responsibilities will be:
- Facilitate community based engagement opportunities such as Wellbeing Days incorporating Healing Circles and other culturally appropriate wellbeing activities;
- Provide culturally appropriate, evidence based mental health support to the community;
- Complement and link existing services which address client needs such as - drug and alcohol, suicide prevention and broader social and emotional well-being as well as mainstream services;
- Flexible service delivery in locations near to where people live;
- Engage with local General Practitioners and other Primary Care providers, to enable referral to the Cabera-ra Nanga Program;
- Support the facilitation of Aboriginal &TSI Mental Health First Aid programs for practitioners in the primary care workforce;
- Work with our research team to contribute to the current body of evidence around effective mental health services for Aboriginal &TSI people.
This is a fixed term contract working full time until 30 June 2021, with a possibility of extension.
The role will require you to travel throughout the Northern Sydney region, and we will reimburse expenses such as mileage or public transport costs in accordance with our policy.
The annual base salary for this position is as given below:
$80,574 (for 5 days per week)
The hourly rate is $41.32
In addition to the base salary, there is the employers contribution (9.5%) to superannuation, leave loading (17.5%) and we offer salary packaging.
For a copy of the position description, go to CLICK HERE
- You are a passionate Aboriginal &/or Torres Strait Islander health services professional;
- You have (or are working towards) formal qualifications in Social Work, Social Welfare, Social Science, Psychology, Humanities (or similar) OR you have significant knowledge and experience working in related fields;
- You are able to demonstrate experience in delivering culturally safe services with and for Aboriginal and TSI Peoples and Communities;
- You have relevant practice expertise and experience in community engagement, community development, service coordination and individual, service and system level advocacy;
- You understand Aboriginal & TSI wellbeing and the type of clinical and cultural responses currently available;
- You know and understand the range of community based services available, especially those relating to mental health, well-being and family relationships.
There are also four ‘must-haves’ that we look for in every employee at RANSW:
1. A passion for our mission, our values and for the work we do together
2. The dedication, flexibility and creativity to always put the client first
3. The resilience and agility to adapt to change
4. A can-do, results-driven attitude – being motivated to hit targets in an environment where we measure our impact to ensure we deliver and grow
For more information about the role and program please look at:
If you would like to discuss this role, please contact Selina Brandy, Senior Aboriginal Family Advisor on 0431 796 099 (during business hours only please) or email@example.com or Robyn Arnott, Centre Manager, on firstname.lastname@example.org
Australia’s First Peoples
RANSW is committed to creating opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples. This is a core part of our Reconciliation Action Plan. Australia’s First Peoples are encouraged to apply for this role. RANSW's RAP can be found at:
Diversity and Inclusion statement
RANSW is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and recognises the importance of attracting the right people for the right job. We are actively seeking to increase the diversity of our team and encourage applications from people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, the LGBTQI+ community, people living with disability/ies, and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples. In the interests of gender diversity, we encourage men to apply.
Why work with us?
1… Help people who need you most, when they need you most: End every day knowing you’ve made a real difference
2… Be part of something bigger: Last year alone, our people delivered over 56,000 client sessions across New South Wales.
3… Support and be supported: Work alongside people who truly care about what you achieve together and how you grow as a team.
4... Never be bored: new day, new challenge: Enjoy diverse, interesting work that will challenge and reward you professionally and personally
We enjoy salary packaging and a number of non-salary benefits that have been designed to assist in our personal and career growth and wellbeing. Other benefits include:
- Regular Mariyang Malang Networking meetings, informal mentoring, peer group supervision and culturally sensitive line management support you as an employee.
- Formal Cultural Supervision is available.
- Salary Packaging is available to staff based on our Public Benevolent Institution (PBI) status, providing additional reduction in the tax you pay.
- Salary sacrificing to superannuation, some educational courses and other approved items if desired.
- Up to 5 additional leave days per year (pro rata), to be used between Christmas and New Year, and on your Birthday.
- Discounted fees for courses undertaken through Relationships Australia (NSW) Professional Training.
- Study Leave is available for approved educational courses.
- Comprehensive supervision and support for practitioners.
- Comprehensive Wellness Strategy including a focus on reducing our organisational footprint on the environment, Fitness Passport, annual flu vaccinations and our Employee Assistance Programs.
*Being Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander is a genuine occupational requirement for this position under S14 of the Anti-Discrimination Act 1977 (NSW)
This role has no formal closing date, we will review applications as they are received, so we encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
How to Apply?
PLEASE NOTE: ONCE YOU START YOUR ONLINE APPLICATION, YOU CANNOT SAVE AND RETURN TO IT AT A LATER POINT.
You may wish to prepare your responses in a Word document. You can then COPY and PASTE your answers from Word into the below fields.
- Have your resume and cover letter ready to go.
- You'll then be prompted to attach your resume and other documents (if applicable). Click 'Next'.
- Review your application to confirm everything is correct. Click 'Confirm' to submit your application.